Clyde Edward McMannamy

6 entries
  • "I remember when my siblings and cousins would call uncle..."
    - Dawn Cowgill
  • "you will be missed my friend...."
    - Barbara Parker
  • "My heart is filled with saddness. I knew Clyde in School at..."
    - Lynne Carroll
  • "My condolences to the family. Clyde will truly be missed."
    - Michael McMannamy
  • "Hoping you find peace. Heartfelt sympathy to all"
    - Lisa Webster
The Guest Book is expired.
Service Information
Staples Funeral Service
53 Brunswick Avenue
Gardiner, ME

"Fair winds and following seas, shipmate. We have the watch."

ROCKLAND - Clyde Edward McMannamy, 60, of Rockland, Maine, lost his battle to long term illness in the early morning hours of Nov. 3, 2018. He was born in Toledo, Ohio, on April 10, 1958, to James and Hazel (Brown) McMannamy and the youngest of their four boys. Growing up, he was an active participant in the Boy Scouts and was the sports team manager in high school for several teams. He grew up in Holland, Ohio and graduated from Springfield High School in 1976.Clyde joined the United States Navy in 1978, where he served for just over eight years. During his time with the Navy, Clyde traveled around the world and collected various forms of currency from different countries. He served on the USS Conyngham DDG-17 as well as the USS De Wert FFG-45. By the time he left the Navy, he attained the rank of petty officer first class as a gunners mate.  While stationed in Brunswick, Maine, he met Christine, the woman who went on to be his wife and mother of his children. Although he proposed several times, Chris kept declining at first as she was still a senior in high school at the time. His persistence paid off, as she eventually accepted, and they were married May 22, 1982 in Augusta, Maine. After the Navy, Clyde was an over the road truck driver for a number of years before he and his family moved to Gardiner, Maine in 1991.  While living in Gardiner, he worked as a dump truck driver for William's Construction, later on working for Ferraiolo when they bought out William's. He only left construction work when he moved to North Carolina with his family in 2007 where he went back to working driving cross country. He eventually had to leave what he loved to do when his medical concerns were getting to be too much.Clyde was a very open and honest individual. He had no filter, so you knew that he was not pulling his punches when he said a statement. No one had to guess what he was thinking, as he always said it. He was also very opinionated, especially revolving around what branch of the military was best (Navy), what college team was the best (Ohio State Buckeyes), what MLB team was the best (Detroit Tigers), and what NFL team was the best (Denver Broncos). He loved to banter with his late grandmother-in-law about baseball (Red Sox fan) or banter with his father-in-law (Orioles fan). Although some found Clyde maybe a little rough around the edges, everyone loved him as that is what made him Clyde.Clyde cared and loved his family greatly. Although usually always working while his kids were growing up, he tried his hardest to show up to as many dance recitals, sports games, band concerts, and scouting events he possibly could. He always encouraged his kids to try anything and everything (within reason of course) at least once.He instilled his sense of adventure to his kids and loved being able to have something unique to enjoy with each of them.He loved to decorate cakes for any occasion and was an avid reader, especially anything by Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler. He loved history, especially United States history, his favorite time period being that of the Civil War. With his wife, Clyde enjoyed being on a bowling league at Interstate Bowling in Augusta for a number of years where he was also a coach for young kids and teenagers. Clyde was also an avid Monopoly collector, having nearly 50 different versions and always anticipated receiving a new version every year at Christmas time.  It became a family tradition to play the newest version he received after Christmas dinner.Clyde was extremely proud of his children and absolutely loved being a grandpa to his grandkids. He was very happy he was able to see all of his kids get married and graduating college (multiple times at that). He was looking forward to seeing his son graduate one last time with a doctorate degree, another grandchild due to arrive in April, and spending more time with his current grandchildren.Clyde was predeceased by his parents, James and Hazel (Brown) McMannamy.Clyde is survived by his wife of 36 years, Christine (Buckmore) McMannnamy; his mother-in-law and father-in-law, Terry and Harold "Buck" Buckmore; three children, his first daughter Shannon Dyer and husband Jason, of Cushing;  his son, Sean McMannamy and wife, Breann, of Mount Pleasant, Michigan; his youngest daughter, Stephanie Charette and husband, Richard of Morrill; four grandchildren, granddaughters Terry Ruth (12), Madison Lillian (10), Juliet Aurora (6), and grandson, Andrew Jonathan (4 months). He was also anxiously awaiting for his fifth grandchild, due in April of 2019; three older brothers, James, Jerry, and Roy; his brother-in-law Steve Buckmore; sister-in-laws, Cheryl Nadeau and husband, Dan, and Julie Kelly; many aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews as well as countless friends scattered throughout the world.  Visiting hours will be held on Thursday, Nov. 8, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m., noon, at Staples Funeral Home and Cremation Care, 53 Brunswick Avenue, Gardiner, where a funeral service will follow at noon. Burial will follow with full Military Honors at the Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery, 163 Mt. Vernon Road, Augusta, Maine.Reception will be held after the burial at the Faith Christian Church, 280 Brunswick Ave. Gardiner, Maine.Condolences, memories and photos may be shared with the family on the obituary page of the Staples Funeral Home website: In lieu of flowers, the family has requested financial assistance with the services. 

Published in Central Maine on Nov. 6, 2018
bullet U.S. Navy bullet Veterans
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.